5 Reasons to Become a Church Member
- For the sake of the pastors. It lets the pastors know who you are, and makes them responsible for you (see Acts 20:28; Heb. 13:17).
- For the sake of obedience to Jesus. Jesus did not give you the keys of the kingdom for binding and loosing. He gave the keys to the apostolic local church (Matt. 16:13-20; 18:15-20). You don’t have the authority to baptize yourself or feed yourself the Lord’s Supper. It requires a church to affirm your profession of faith, which is what membership is at its very heart (see Acts 2:38).
- For the sake of other believers. Joining makes you responsible for one local congregation, and they for you. You now own or have a share in their discipleship to Christ. That is, you are now responsible for their growth and professions of faith, insofar as you are responsible for the church’s faithful gospel preaching (Gal. 1) and that individual’s discipline (Matt. 18:15-20; 1 Cor. 5).
- For one’s own spiritual good and safety. Suppose YOU ever become that lamb who wanders away from the fold (Matt. 18:12-14). It’s your church that Jesus will send after you (Matt. 18:15-20).
- For the sake of non-Christian neighbors. Membership helps to protect and promote the reputation of Christ on earth by guarding the church’s witness (see Matt. 5:13-16; 28:18-20; John 13:34-35). Membership is how the world knows who represents Jesus!
These reasons are taken from an excerpt from an excellent article on 9Marks.org by Jonathan Leeman find the whole article here.
Please Consider our Church Membership Class February 18th and 28th.
Don't forget about our college students this week! Pray for them as they get ready study hard and donate snacks, stationary, or anything that will let our 14 college students know they are loved. Everything is due this Sunday so the teens can pack the boxes and get them out before Valentines Day.
We have a lot of other events coming up on our calendar like our Family Movie Night! Please save this picture below and share it on social media or forward this email on to your friends and family who live in the area. This is a great opportunity for us to connect with many who might not regularly attend Sunday mornings. (This movie was chosen by vote and received good ratings for all ages on pluggedin.com and Dove.com.)
God bless you this week! I can't wait to see you Sunday!
You are Loved!